Numbering and Naming Assignments

 I know this probably sounds like common sense but coming from outside education no one ever sat me down and said hey this is how we do this. So I thought I would throw in my two cents worth and let you know that as an instructor you probably want to find a system that works for you as far as keeping track of assignments in your LMS - Learning Management System. It makes it a lot easier to keep track of what assignments you have given and where they are located.

I like a numbering system for my assignments this is probably due to having been a welding engineer and all the Welding Procedure Specifications are numbered using an alphanumeric numbering system, all of this depends on where you work and the system that is in place for documentation numbering.

I start the school year with assignment number 1 and work my way to the bigger numbers as the school year progresses. I also put in a descriptor after the number so I know what the content of the quiz is.

87 - Review and Some Math
88 -GMAW Welding Defects
89 FCAW and Random Things
90 FCAW Once Again
91 Flux Core Arc Welding
92 - Review and Math
93 - Oxy Acetylene Cutting
94 OxyFuel - Safety and Intro
99 - neunundneunzig
101 -Dalmations
104 Basic Welding Safety
107 Base Metal Preparation

Using this numbering convention allows me to find assignments or copy a previous assignment and modify it into a new assignment by copying it, changing the number and adding or deleting questions. I do this frequently for review, where I will take an old assignment on welding safety copy it to the current time frame then change the number of the assignment, maybe change the name  and assign it to the students.

Another reason that I have this numbering system is so that when I have to contact a parent, administrator, counselor in regard to students missing assignments I can pull up a list copy and paste it into the email that I am sending and it very clearly shows what the student is missing. Below is a sample of a letter that I would send out to counselors, administrators and parents to let them know that the student is behind in their classwork. 

Ms. O'Leary/Mr. Everdeen,
 
I have one of your students Frankie Addams  in my 5-6 th period “Welding I” class. I am just reaching out to you to let you know that Mr. Addams has a number of Schoology assignments that are due, overdue or soon to be due. Could you touch base with him and let him know that these Schoology assignments are not optional and are weighted as minor grades. 35% of his grade.

•  Grade for the 3rd grading period is 50.82% - as of today with 4 missing assignments 
•  Major grade – A test tomorrow
•  4 outstanding assignments for the Third grading period
•  40, 69 and 68% on three of the six assignments he turned in.
•  There is No penalty for turning in late assignments
•  I also go over the days assignment during my daily Zoom Meetings – Free answers to the questions if you show up -
•  All assignments are open note, open book, etc. and can be taken over multiple times. Will remain open until 25MAY21

Below is a list of missing assignments for Welding I – 

87 - Review and Some Math
88 -GMAW Welding Defects
89 FCAW and Random Things
90 FCAW Once Again
91 Flux Core Arc Welding
92 - Review and Math

 If you have any questions please feel free to contact me in this regard. Thanks and have a great day.



Garry A Pace PE-CWI
Welding Instructor
Alief ISD CTE Center for Advanced Careers

What I wanted to note is how the assignments are numbered and it gives all the stakeholders a very clear picture of what needs to be done as far as turning in missing work. I will write another blog addressing writing letters to parents and administrators.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Welding Symbols and Fractions

Software Tools That Are Useful

Getting into Teaching Welding - Overview