Student Templates of Resume and Cover Letter

 In regards to resumes and cover letters for welding students - I did not have the heart, will power or the class time to wrestle with the nine headed monster of trying to get the students dialed in and moving in the right direction when writing resumes. The other welding instructor and I gave it a go and attempted to help our students write resumes my first year teaching and it was an unmitigated train wreck. So I went the easy route and just said to heck with it and I wrote a plug and play resume and a plug and play cover letter for my students. I figured this was probably the best path forward without chewing up large quantities of time fixing grammar and spelling errors. 

Below is a copy of the cover letter.

Joe Smith
127 Merry Ashford Houston TX 77082 
(555)555-9907 
Joesmith5555@ymail.com

January 29, 2020

Dear Sir/Ma’am:

I am a graduate of Houston Community College where I earned a Basic welding helper certificate. For the past year I have been employed by the AUC Group as a Welders Helper. I am currently looking for an entry level welding position or a position as a welder’s helper, pipefitter’s helper or as a boilermaker helper with opportunities for career advancement and growth. 

I have a strong work ethic and have trainee level welding skills with the SMAW process. And by trainee level welding skills I can run both E6010 and E7018 in the 2G and 3G positions proficiently.

While at Elsik High School I completed two years of coursework in the Alief ISD welding program. The bulk of my shop time was spent running “pad of beads” with E6010 and E7018. I have solid math skills, am good with hand tools and can read blueprints as well as a tape measure. I picked up additional skills while I was enrolled as a student at Houston Community College.

Although I am not an expert on any of these subjects I do feel that I have a solid foundation for an entry level position with your organization as either a welders helper or as an entry level welder. If my skill set looks like it would be a good fit with your organization, please call me at (555)555-5555 for further conversations in this regard. Thank you for consideration.

Sincerely,

Joe Smith

Enclosure:


 Below is the resume that I put together.

John Doe
202 Oak Ridge Lane
Terre Haute, Indiana 47804
Email address
(888) 555-1234

 

OBJECTIVE

 An entry level position in or related to the field of welding, with special interest in securing a position with a solid company that can utilize my welding skills. And the ability to work towards becoming a NCCER Journeyman Pipefitter Welder or Boilermaker Welder.

 

SKILLS-RELEVANT COURSES

SMAW - Shield and Metal Arc – 2G/3G

E6010/E7018

Construction Math – Fractions/Decimals

Basic Construction Safety

Basic Blueprint Reading

OSHA 10 Hour Course

Basic Employability Skills

GMAW - Gas Metal Arc – Basic

Basic Hand Tools

FCAW – Flux core Arc Welding – Basic

Fluent Spanish/English

Oxy-fuel Cutting

 

 RELATED EXPERIENCE

  Iron Foundry, Brazil, IN.                                                                               2018 - Present

 EDUCATION

 Graduate of Elsik High School 2020 – Alief ISD Houston Texas

 Relevant NCCER Modules Completed

NCCER Core
29107-15         SMAW - Equipment and Setup
29101-15         Welding Safety
29106-15         Weld Quality
29108-15         SMAW Electrodes
29201-15         Welding Symbols
34101-10         Introduction to Boilermaking

Both of these documents have been battle tested. My former students have used these and gotten jobs, neither one of these documents is a masterpiece of the written word but both have pretty much everything a potential employer needs to know about our students skill sets and goals.

When I built these documents I went through the job posting for entry level welders and apprentice type jobs and listed what our students know. Anyhow not that these are the end all of resumes and cover letters but they might save a person some time and aggravation of trying to get welding students to put together resumes and cover letters.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Welding Symbols and Fractions

Software Tools That Are Useful

Getting into Teaching Welding - Overview